A Memorial Service is being held for Aniya Parker at the Unity Fellowship Church, 9608 S. Figueroa, this Sunday October 12 at 7:30 pm.
Please plan to get there early as the Church may be full. There will be an opportunity for community members to speak for 5 minutes max, the Reverend said he is very strict about the time.
There will be press covering the service. I haven’t heard yet if Aniya’s family will be a part of the service.
The Church and members of the black community are taking the lead. The Anti-Violence Project at the Center is playing a supportive role.
I will send further updates.
FOR DETAILS ABOUT THE CRIME: (the coverage goes from atrocious to better as time progresses)
- East Hollywood Shooting Victim Dies After “Robbery Gone …
- Transgender Woman Murdered in Hollywood – LA Weekly
- Murder of Transgender Woman Caught on Video – LA Weekly
- Transgender Murder Victim ID’d as Aniya Parker | The Informer | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events | LA …
- Vigil Held For Transgender Woman Killed In East Hollywood
- Aniya Parker and an Epidemic of Violence Against Transgender Women of Color
Parker’s death is another example of what seems like nothing short of an epidemic of violence targeting transgender women of color. She’s is the eighth transgender woman of color to be killed since the begining of June, according to the Anti-Violence Project. She’s also the second to be killed in Los Angeles in recent months; 28-year-old Zoraida Reyes’s body was found in a parking lot behind an Orange County Dairy Queen on June 12th. Transgender women of color face disproportionately higher rates of hate violence than other members of the LGBT community, according to researchers. In fact, a 2013 report from the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs found that LGBT people of color were nearly twice as likely to experience physical violence than their white counterparts. Transgender women made up 67 percent of anti-LGBT homicides in 2013, according to the Anti-Violence Project.