- What is going to happen with Medi-Cal?
- Is the Affordable Care Act going away?
- Are we going to lose the Ryan White Care Act?
- Are the problems with ADAP enrollment going to get better or worse?
- What about women’s health?
While we don’t have any answers, we do know two things:
- our clients – as well as our workforce (and our families, friends, and others) are freaking out. Many of us are worried about people in recovery relapsing; people who are on life-saving medications becoming resistant if there is a break in services; losing jobs – everything seems to be on the line right now.
- between us, we have many skills, and a desire for community.
What can we do to help each other and our clients and communities? This is a question we don’t have the answer to. What do you think? What would you like to see as a response to the fear, anger, uncertainty? Town hall meetings? Discussion groups? Support groups? Protests? Activism? Intensified community mobilization? Art? Distractions?
Please post ideas, and what you would be willing to help with, and let’s try to band together and figure out a way to help each other through.
An affinity group, ALERT-LA has already formed and had a meeting.
Activist-Led Emergency Response Team (ALERT) Los Angeles Affinity group is for healthcare and other social justice actions following the 2016 elections. The national group was initiated by HIV/AIDS and LGBT activists just hours after the election result was announced, as we all asked “so, now what?”. As members of this group, we are participating in building a movement to demand and demonstrate the just, kind, loving, anti-racist, anti-sexist and anti-xenophobic world we want to achieve. We recognize that this is not a short-term goal, and we hope that you’ll be in it with us for the long-haul.
There is also a group in South Los Angeles called the Community Coalition
Change doesn’t start with policymakers, academics, or government officials. It doesn’t happen spontaneously or through luck. It begins with you and your neighbors. Together we have the power to transform our community. All it takes is one spark to ignite a movement.
Do you know of any groups that are organizing? Sources of information? Action alerts? If so, please let us know.