National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NWGHAAD) is an annual observance to recognize the impact of HIV on women and girls. For the second year in a row, the Los Angeles County HIV Drug & Alcohol Task Force (HIV DATF) is partnering with The City of Los Angeles Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) to produce an awareness event. This year we plan to hold it at Jim Gillian Park.
Friday, March 10, 2017 1pm through 5pm
at Jim Gilliam Park
4000 S La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90008
Free Food! Zumba! Raffle Prizes! DJ!
Resource Fair! Free store!
appropriate for all ages
This event is for everyone who identifies as a woman or girl, & for everyone who loves, supports, parents, teaches, learns from, and/or partners with women & girls.
FRIENDS & PARTNERS:
- Traci Bivens, the Women’s Collaborative on HIV for getting us items for the “free store” and for working the event the entire day.
- Mary Cabrera, Bienvenidos who got us 200 tote bags for the event
- Carlos Catano, AIDS Healthcare Foundation provided all the food – and, when we ran out, managed to get even more so that everyone was able to eat
- Michelle Enfield, Co-Chair of the HIV DATF, Red Circle Project, APLA Health
- Susan Forrest, Co-Chair of the HIV DATF, Behavioral Health Services, Inc.
- Alex Iliug, Tarzana Treatment Center
- Terri Reynolds, AADAP, Inc., who got us (literally) a truck-full of items for the wildly successful “free store”
- Roger Sediles, APLA Health, who invited Mychele Sims to instruct the ZUMBA classes
- Stuart Slechta, Tarzana Treatment Center
- Ceri Zamora, the Commission on the Status of Women who handled all of the logistics with Jim Gilliam Park
- The Commission on the Status of Women
- Denise Stansell from Jim Gilliam Park, and her wonderful team who set up and broke down the entire event
- Los Angeles City Recs & Parks
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
all of the agencies who participated, attended, donated raffle prizes, and helped to make this event extra special; and also to
AADAP, Inc. (for the amazing banner)
AltaMed for bringing their testing van
AIDS Healthcare Foundation for bringing their testing van
Jeff Bailey from APLA Health for the donation
DJ Sal Correa from Advantage Healthcare Services
Daniel Gaby for the donation
Lawrence Fernandez from L.A. CADA who provided water for the entire event
Los Angeles Commission on HIV’s Women’s Caucus for the letter of support
Roxanne Lewis from JWCH, who operated the free store the entire day
Mychele Sims for leading Zumba
Herb Wesson, President, Los Angeles, City Council
RESOURCE FAIR PARTICIPANTS:
- AADAP, Inc.
- The Actors Fund HIV/AIDS Initiative
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation
- APLA Health
- Asian-Pacific AIDS Intervention Team (APAIT)
- Behavioral Health Services, Inc.
- Bienestar Human Services
- Black Women for Wellness
- City of Los Angeles Election Division
- Coalition of Mental Health Professionals
- Community Coalition
- Department of Public Social Services (DPSS)
- East Los Angeles Women’s Center
- Friends Community Center
- Get PrEP LA / LA Condom Project
- Homeless Outreach Program Integrated Care System (HOPICS)
- L.A. CADA
- LA LGBT Center Audre Lorde Women’s Health Program
- Los Angeles HIV Law and Policy Project
- MCA Clinic
- Minority AIDS Project
- Pacific Lyon’s Care
- Southern California Alcohol & Drug Programs, Inc. (SCADP)
- Tarzana Treatment Center‘s PrEP4Life
WHY WE DO THIS: